On the tenth day of Christmas my true love gave to me, ten lords a-leaping. The lords stand for the Ten Commandments which are holy and good, by which we should live, and by which we are justly condemned because of our sin.
So, this post was a given. I’ve come up with a list of 10 PR commandments
- Thou shall enthusiastically know my subject matter and pitch– inside and out.
- Thou shall confidently pitch my story in less than 15 words, 140 characters or 30 seconds, whichever comes first.
- Thou shall connect with reporters online and build relationships in social media networks.
- Thou shall dig deep into my story to create fresh angles and hooks that impact people.
- Thou shall have a Crisis Communications plan in place- before the emergency hits.
- Thou shall create clear, concise, and compelling pitches and press releases using multimedia platforms to grab attention.
- Thou shall respect media deadlines and be helpful to reporters.
- Thou shall follow the news and be able to respond to breaking stories and other “unplanned” opportunities.
- Thou shall be persistent, but not be a newsroom pest.
- Thou shall love my story, for if I don’t, journalists won’t either.
I also got the input of some PR pros as to what they think should be included in the 10 PR commandments.
“Use basic manners and proof read emails! Had so many obnoxious ‘you will do this for nothing’ emails full of typos!” Becky @theowletblog
“Never assume you know everything but don’t undervalue your expertise” Lauren Old @LaurenOldPR
“Research. Without it not much else can be achieved and evaluation as without it there is little point.” Diane Green @sequins16