2016 has got to be up there with one of the worst years, don’t you think? So it is time to look forward to 2017 with hope that it will be 100 times better than this year has been. The best thing to do is to go into 2017 feeling prepared and if you start 2017 right, there’ll be nowhere that you can’t go.
- Fist of all, look backwards. I know everyone talks about looking forward, but before you can think about new goals for next year, you need to look at your old ones and figure out what worked and what didn’t. This is the best way that you can determine the best aims and strategies for this year.
- Leave the office. No, you don’t need to spend January in front of a computer screen or on the other end of a phone. In actual fact, that is the last thing you should be doing. Get out, and not just for a walk. Network, integrate with your client base, pay a visit to your clients, attend events and actually talk to the people that matter.
- Concentrate on quality. Don’t worry about quantities, originality or being the most innovative. That might get you noticed, but will it get you long term business? Being the best at what you do is the only thing that you need to set your sights on. Once you’ve achieved that, then you’ll get noticed. That doesn’t mean that you can’t be creative, but concentrate on the bigger picture.
- Learn! You’re an expert in your field, you know that, I know that and your clients know that, that’s why your clients are your clients. But there is no harm in expanding your knowledge. Things are constantly changing and if you have your mind set on the idea of learning something new every day, then you’re almost certain to always be one step ahead of everyone else.
- Be realistic and stick to it. We’ve all heard this before. Be realistic with your goals, make sure that they are achievable and write them down. You need to know what you are working towards so that later in the year, you don’t sit down and realise that you are working towards the wrong thing. Your goals should be set in stone, written down for everyone to see and attainable.