IT’S ARRIVED. I AM NOW 24. I DON’T WANT TO BE OLD.
Okay, sorry about the outburst but I wanted to make it clear so I can stop going on about my birthday now, and from this point on, I promise I won’t mention it again.
Today I wanted to share some of my favourite PR quotes, and now I’m older and wiser, I’ve organised them into cute little categories to make them easier to find in the future. (it’s official, I’m a grown up.)
The first category I would like to share is quotes you can use when you don’t know how to explain PR to someone.
1. “The history of PR is a history of a battle for what is reality and how people will see and understand reality.” – Stuart Ewen.
2. “It’s PR that needs to be creative. It’s PR that needs to be new and different. It’s PR that needs to be original. The best way to establish a brand is to create a new category, and creating a new category requires creative thinking of the highest order.” – Al & Laura Ries
3. “Since we cannot change reality, let us change the eyes which see reality.” – Nikos Kazantzakis
The next category is quotes for when someone mean calls you a spin doctor and you don’t know how to reply.
4. “Public-relations specialists make flower arrangements of the facts, placing them so the wilted and less attractive petals are hidden by sturdy blooms.” – Alan Harrington
5. “An image is not simply a trademark, a design, a slogan or an easily remembered picture. It is a studiously crafted personality profile of an individual, institution, corporation, product or service.” – Daniel Boorstin
6. “The are of publicity is a black art; but it has come to stay, and every year adds to its potency.” – Thomas Paine
7. “PR is a mix of journalism, psychology, and lawyering – it’s an ever-changing and always interesting landscape.” – Ronn Torossian.
This category is quotes for when someone gets all up in your face and questions your ethical values.
8. “PR means telling the truth and working ethically – even when all media want is headlines and all the public wants is scapegoats. Public relations fails when there is no integrity.” – Viv Segal
9. “Publicity is a great purifier because it sets in action the forces of public opinion and in this country public opinion controls the courses of the nation.” – Charles Evan Hughes
10. “Publicity, publicity, publicity is the greatest moral factor and force in our public life.” – Joseph Pulitzer
This is the biggest category, with quotes you can throw at people when you want to let them know how important PR is to everything, therefore how important you are.
11. “PR is extremely important, and being able to use it in the right way means everything. You have to market your success.” – Lee Hanley
12. “If I was down to my last dollar of my marketing budget I’d spend it on PR!” – Bill Gates
13. “Publicity is absolutely critical. A good PR story is infinitely more effective than a front page ad.” – Richard Branson
14. “Historically, PR, Marketing and Advertising budgets are the first to be cut; however, that could be one of the first mistakes a business makes in an economic crisis.” – CBS
15. “The media’s the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that’s power.” – Malcolm X
16. “Next to doing the right thing, the most important thing is to let people know you are doing the right thing.” – John D Rockefeller
17. Publicity is the life of this culture – in so far as without publicity capitalism could not survive – and at the same time publicity is its dream.” – John Berger
18. “Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind.” – Rudyard Kipling
19. “Without publicity there is no prosperity.” – Yakov Zel’dovich
20. “Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some hire public relations officers.” – Daniel Boorstin
21. “All business begins with the public permission and exists by public approval.” – Arthur Page
22. “Public relations are a key component of any operation in this day of instant communications and rightly inquisitive citizens.” – Alvin Adams.
23. “I suspect in most companies, the public relations person is down at No. 20 in the pecking order. But here, he is fighting incredibly important battles. If a negative story starts running away with itself in the press and is not dealt with fast, it can badly damage the brand, and so we put enormous weight on our PR people.” – Richard Branson
To finish it all off, I would like to end with a quote which I think is fitting with PR and fits into every category mentioned above.
24. “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minuted to ruin it. If you think about that, you’ll do things differently.” – Warren Buffet